Crispy Fried Oyster Mushrooms
Delicious fakeaway food, served with your choice of dip. We love sweet-chilli, also really delicious with bluecheese, buffalo, spicy bbq or garlic mayo!
- Deep pan for flying
- 350g Fresh Grey Oyster Mushrooms
- 5 Cups Oil suitable for frying
- 2 Cups Wholemeal Flour
- 2 Cups Corn Flour
- 2 Cups Plant based milk
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- Tear your larger oyster mushrooms in half from the rounded part to the stem, this will ensure the stem part cooks well and is not too chewy.
- Prepare your milk into a bowl, large enough to dunk your mushroomsIn a seperate large bowl mix your two flours, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and if you would like an extra kick, now is the time to add 1/2 and tsp of cayenne.
- Pour the oil into a deep pan, suitable for frying and heat gently. You can test the oil is hot enough by dropping a small pice of bread into it, or small drop of batter, if it sizzles and turns brown, your oil is ready. 360-375°F (182-190°C) If it bubbles too vigorously and gets dark brown in less than 60 seconds, the oil is too hot.
- Working in batches, dip ¼ of the mushrooms in the plant milk with one hand. Shake off the excess and add them to the flour. Use the other hand to coat them in the flour.
- Dip the pieces once more in the milk and flour then set aside on a plate or tray lined with parchment paper. Repeat the steps with the remaining mushroom pieces.
- Cook the mushroom pieces in small batches until they are golden brown. It should only take about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove and place on paper towel to drain any excess oil. They are ready to serve with your favourite dipping sauce!